Friday, November 27, 2009

Puppy has dry patch, hair loss around eye.?

We will call the vet as soon as they open. However we just wanted opinions. We thought maybe it was demodex. She is about 7 months old and is Rottwieler, Lab, Doberman Mix. It started as a very small patch first noticed yesterday, but now it goes all the way around her eye and the hair is falling out constantly. Its just around her left eye at this time. The skin is very dry and scaly as well. She eats a top brand food dry, trust me nothing from wal-mart anymore for my dogs, and gets high quality wet food as well mixed in as well. She hasn't had anything new as far as food or contact with other animals. We have one other dog and 3 cats and none of them are showing signs. What are somethings I should do until I can get her to the vet which will be later this morning. If it is mites I know I should definitely wash all the bedding and vacuum all the rugs etc... that she has been around. I just want to be doing something if I can other then that until I can get her in.



Puppy has dry patch, hair loss around eye.?

Demodex is a possibility but it is not contagious to other animals or people. Scabies is also possible, but usually doesn't show up on the face first. The vet can determine which it is, until then, not much you can do.



Puppy has dry patch, hair loss around eye.?

yes take her in. it sounds like a ringworm to me. but if it is you dont want to touch it cause you can get it. look on yahoo pics under ringworms in dogs and see if thats whjat it is.



Puppy has dry patch, hair loss around eye.?

Sounds like Demodex to me too. Fortunately, it's not contagious to the other pets. Not too much you can do until the vet checks it out.



Puppy has dry patch, hair loss around eye.?

If your dog has any contact with the cats, it might be ringworm. My dog got it from my cat. It sounds similar to the symptoms you describe. The cats are carriers and never show signs.



Puppy has dry patch, hair loss around eye.?

If you are planning on taking her to the vet today then just watch her. Make sure you tell the vet exactly what you have given her to eat and anything that you may have put on her skin ( flea and tick drops, collar, soap).



Puppy has dry patch, hair loss around eye.?

She could be allergic to fleas. I also have a Rott/Lab mix and the exact same thing happened to him. We have him on the best food, and he was on flea and tick medication. We took him to the vet and apparently he somhow got ONE flea bite which cause the hair loss. We had to put him on some kind of steroid and switch his flea medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans