Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I'm allergic to the new dog! Now what?

my bf and I have been together for about a year now. recently we (mostly he) got a new dog, a nice 5 year old yellow lab named cookie. I love her to death but the more i am around her the more miserable i get, to the point where i am sick and can't sleep or breathe! I have been around dogs but i have never lived with one and i didn't know it was this bad. I tried allergy meds of all kinds but they only take the edge off. I love the dog and so does he!!! I don't want her to have to go but with an active toddler and both of us working in between we simply cannot keep up with all the hair and dander. our homes are smallish too, and she sheds 3x as much as other dogs due to an overactive thyroid condition. WHAT TO DO!!!????



I'm allergic to the new dog! Now what?

Yellow labs and all dogs for that matter have different dander, but labs are one of the worst. I myself am not allergic to dogs, but I'm allergic to labs, there is something in the dander and their saliva that if it touches my skin I break out in a rash. I'm sure you've already tried it but benadryl normally helps my husband or you could go to your doctor and see if they could give you allergy shots to help you out. If that doesn't work you don't have much choice but to find her a new home. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose.



I'm allergic to the new dog! Now what?

The first thing you do is go see your allergist and consider starting allergy shots. Next try putting her in a crate when you are both at work and define the places where she can be in the house. Do NOT LET her into the bedroom. Also get some spray to use on her specifically to use on her for people with allergies. I can't remember the name of the product but pet stores sell it and you use it on the animal to help with allergies. Also once you talk to your allergist about allergy shots etc he/she will have lots more suggestions etc. Get off the computer and make an appointment to see your allergist ASAP and get treatment started.



I'm allergic to the new dog! Now what?

Try talking to your doc. Any over the counter allergy medicine won't be as strong as a prescription. Also, be very good about vacuuming. Try getting an air purifier. You might also need to keep the dog out of certain rooms you are in alot. IE: the bedroom.



I'm allergic to the new dog! Now what?

Go to the doctor. Rather than have this poor dog (who obviously was given up by a previous owner) sent away...again. I would go to my doctor and try a different allergy medication and a different shampoo for Cookie. I have a 6 year old Boston Terrier that I adore. If I had been allergic to her---I would have gotten allergy shots---rather than give her up. She was a rescue. I don't want her to ever have to be sent away again.



Also, is Cookie on thyroid medication? That is a common, but VERY treatable condition dogs get (just like humans). If she is on medication for it, you need to call the vet and have her thyroid level checked--it may need to be adjusted.



Yeah, I'm a big 'ol softie when it comes to animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans