Saturday, November 28, 2009

Los Angeles, CA: Considering adopting dog with an inguinal hernia. How much will the repair cost?

I have found an adorable, but very scared 3 year old long hair chihuaha mix that weighs about 7.5 pounds at an L.A. City shelter. They do not cover the cost of the repair. Does anyone know how much it costs (aprox) to repair an inguinal hernia on a dog like this in the Los Angeles area? I can offer this dog a great home, but costs will be a factor for me. As it is, since this is a City shelter and not a County one, I am looking at about $80.to adopt. I have put a hold on the dog, but the place that does the spaying/ neutering for the city already is closed for the evening. Has anyone out there been through something like this, and if so how has the dog adapted post surgery. Please help!



Los Angeles, CA: Considering adopting dog with an inguinal hernia. How much will the repair cost?

I adopted my dog Charlie from the East Valley Shelter 8 years ago. He had a hernia as well. They didn't tell me about it, even though the vet could have fixed it during the neuter surgery. Way cheaper and safer for the dog (only one surgery). So Charlie had to have a second surgery for the hernia and it put me back about $250. Keep in mind that this was 8 years ago.



Why don't you talk to the RVT at the shelter and make an arrangement with the vet to have both surgeries done at the same time? You'd pay for the additional cost for the hernia part.



I volunteer at the West LA shelter and they arrange those things all the time!



Thank you for adopting a shelter dog. You are truly saving a life!!!



Los Angeles, CA: Considering adopting dog with an inguinal hernia. How much will the repair cost?

There's no way for us to know exactly how much your Vet will charge.



When you see your Vet, ask how bad it is, and if it does infact need immediate surgery.



My cat has a hernia that his Vet has decided isn't urgent, and that we don't need to do surgery to remove it.



He had it before I got him, and it doesn't bother him, and isn't painful to him.



I hope that's the case here. If it's a newer hernia, is may be painful.



Best thing to do is ask your Vet these things, and decide as a team what would be in the best interest of the dog.



Good luck! I hope you get the pup! Thank you!



LA County is VERY VERY high kill - I hope you save him!



Los Angeles, CA: Considering adopting dog with an inguinal hernia. How much will the repair cost?

We are in the east. About nine years ago, we adopted a long haired Chihuahua that also had a hernia. The cost of spaying her and the cost of the repair of the hernia was under $200. You might call some local vets, and they can give you a rough idea of the cost of the repair. Wish I could be of more help to you regarding the cost, but I could not even begin to guess. At first we were just going to watch it, at the vet's suggestion, but the hernia became larger, and he decided to repair it when he spayed her. Even though the vet told us that this area could rupture again, it never did. We would never let her jump up or jump down from the furniture. We would always help her up and down so she wouldn't strain this area again, and she soon learned that she was to bark when she wanted down rather than jump down on her own. I'm not exactly sure when she trained us to do this for her, but she did! Chihuahua's learn quickly how to manipulate their people! She did great following the surgery and had no problems postop. As with any surgery, the vet will likely tell you to keep the dog as quiet and as inactive as possible following surgery; thus, giving the operative site time to heal. Chihuahua's are great dogs, and I do hope you consider saving him/her. I will promise you this... you'll never regret it!



Los Angeles, CA: Considering adopting dog with an inguinal hernia. How much will the repair cost?

My two puppies went to the vet for shots today and they noticed an inguinal hernia on one as well. It will cost me between 100-200 to repair it, i hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans