Friday, November 27, 2009

Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

I just adopted a dog today and she has an appt to get spayed and see the vet on Wed., but the back part of her ear is hard and dark. It is on the outside where the hair should be, but I bathed her and it didn't get any softer. She had fleas really badly, so maybe it was from scratching, but I'm scared it might be some sort of mange. What could it be?



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

Since its the summertime, she could be just like a person- dry skin! Try putting some vaseline on it, and then taping it so she can't touch it- my dog had it, and it helped a bunch!



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

It could be mange, but is it only in that one area? Usually with mange, it is in several areas, usually around the eyes, forehead. It could be a bite. Have the vet look at it on Wednesday.



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

I think you should take her to the vet and get it checked out. Since I cant see what it looks like it dosent sound too pleasant.



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

in my opinion it could be a somekind of tick attached to her ear and then again it can be a infection ot like you said mange check in with your vet, but my puppy had that too and then it eventually fell off. But check with your vet



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

It could be a few things. However since you have an appointment Wed at the vet office. Let the vet look at it first hand. Them you will know for sure!



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

You really will have to wait to talk to the vet, it could be anything from scabs or fly eggs to scars or flea poop or any number of things



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

its probably a scab from flies or fleas. be sure to tell youre vet about it.



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

Was she well taken care of before you got her? Dirt can do this. It irritates the ears and a crusty layer forms. You usually see it on the edges of long-eared dogs like hounds, but it is that same crusty nasty consistency you are talking about. It is just like cradle cap on a baby. If you scrape and clean it off, it will bleed a bit, but new skin will form. Since you are going to the vet, you might show this to him and have them care for it. They will be able to use some antibiotics on it if needed too.



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

Well it is probably just a scab similar to the onews you and I would get if we were to break our skin or rub it raw like the dog probably did. The differance is though that dogs heal from the inside out where as we heal from the outside in. This prevents them from having infections thus far meaning that the roughspot is just probably dead skin and probably a little dried blood it shouldn't be anything to worry about.



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

Just ask the vet when u take her to get spayed....he/she should give you some flea medicine also. good luck.



Help! My dog's ears look crusty?

Hi Sweetie,



I too have a dog "Jack Russell" with a very dry skin disorder, therefore give him 1 capsule of Vitamen E in his food. Now he doesn't scratch anymore. Depending on the



weight of r dog U can do this as well. 200gr



- 400 grams for a lrg. dog to help his skin from the fleas he had %26amp; have his coat shine %26amp; his skin return back to heathy. Around %26amp; in



the ear area is the 1st place fleas attack



so I surmise if they're still there her ears can be tended to at home, Vet's r $$ put



the Vitamen E in her ears, rub it in %26amp; use a thin washcloth that can become her's, wait a few minutes then clean. Also use a Q-Tip gentlely if U see stuff in there. Vet will likely suggest med's 4 her ear's u can get at any "Good Pet Shop" that works as ear drops ALOT cheaper! eg., My dog hangs his head outside of the car %26amp; got a lil



bug in it, so he prescribed a lil tube of gel medication to put in round his eye. It was the same ingedients as Polysporin!! The Polysporin works for many healing issues U



will come across. Benedryl is also good for insect bites, member to go by the weight, %26amp; she'll feel drowsey. So basically U can treat



her just like R Baby! Anything that a child uses she can, even aspirin. I have many books %26amp; Homemade Remedies too.



I hope this helps U %26amp; Best Wishes to You %26amp; Your New Puppy.



LOL, Diana D.



P.S. Sorry if too much info, Love Dogs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans