Friday, November 27, 2009

Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

my dog is an australian shepherd and has a massive coat of thick, dense hair. we are thinking of giving him a trim/haircut, or possibly a shave. should we?



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

I wouldn't do that. A dog's coat is made so that it insulates them in the winter and cools in the summer. This is why they shed their coats twice a year.



Shaving your dog's coat will not only make him look ridiculous, but it really isn't going to help him be any cooler. His coat does the work for him.



http://www.beardie.net/hobo/advice/summe... - Go here for a longer explaination. :)



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

nah,i think it is not healthy



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

I know during cold weather its not good to shave a dog like that. that's how they stay warm but in the summer it's not a big deal. I have a friend who has st.bernards and he shaves them every summer so they stay cooler that way. but if it's real bad and have alot of hair matted up in places cut those out cause they can hurt him by pulling his skin. but i wouldn't shave him if its gonna continue to be cold. i would wait till the summer



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

Go into your local groomer... they can provide a wash nail clip and cut!



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

Any long coated dog can be shaved. I clip my 3 all the time. This is what groomers do for a living! There is nothing unhealthy about it.



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

Why would you want to shave your dog? This breed is supposed to have that haircoat. If you want to try to thin the coat, I would take him to a good groomer, and see what can be done. Don't shave him. His coat may not grow back in normally. And he is used to having that coat.



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

No shave. The hair is part of their protection. You need to brush out his coat every day. The groomer can give it a trim once in a while.



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

It is not a good idea to shave any dogs. Take them to a groomer and let them bathe, blow out and trim them.



Dogs need their coats. It keeps them warm and cool.



Edit:



It's not good to shave a dog in the winter or the summer.



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

In cold winters I would just leave it as it is, unless it is very bad and actually harming someone. If that's the case, I would just trim it a little. In the summer it's not really as big of a deal because it will make them more comfortable, possibly.



I would suggest talking to a groomer about it before you take any actions.



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

first..



dont completely shave him



just give him a trim and get some knots out



its not healthy in the winter, only in the summer



it is not mean to shave a dog, just not very nice in the winter



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

just trim him about every month



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

I don't think you should shave your dog, take it to a professional groomer if you want it shaved. Things to know before you get your dog shaved, the hair is the dogs protection from the sun if you remove the hair your dog is more prone to sunburn also the hair keeps your dog insulated in the summer and the winter. So getting him shaved does not make him cooler in the summer. Sometimes when a dog with an undercoat, such as an Australian shepherd, is shaved the hair may not grow in the same or at all. It can grow in patchy or really thin. Also the color will fade as the hair grows back in. So getting your dog shaved does not benefit him in any way.



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

Dogs have coats for a reason. It keeps them warm in



winter and cool in summer. In the summer a dog with fur



can get sunburn. Give him a good combing instead.



Should i shave my dog? or is it unhealthy/mean?

you know what, i cant answer this but i think you can?? i think you are looking out for your dog-any way-and you will make the right choice

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans