Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

Hello, I am a student and I think many of my class mates have dogs, besides that fact, I really like dogs!!! My house is pretty big but there isn't much of a back yeard... though there is a nature reserve at the back of my house. I'd like something that has short-medium hair... excersise... not too often...maybe 2-4 times a week or once every other day for 1/2 hr. The dog also needs to have some ability to guard the house, yet is still friendly, loyal and somewhat independent... any ideas?



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

I work at a shelter where my job is to help people like you figure out what type of dog is best for them!



1) Depeding on how much time you spend at home you might consider starting out with an older dog. Maybe not a senior citizen, but one thats already gone through the CRAZY puppy stages. They're less likely to chew up your stuff, pee on your floor, and drive you NUTS!



2) Personally, I don't care for labs. They're nice dogs, but some of them put a new meaning to STUPID! There are always exceptions. They're going to need exercise EVERY DAY for at least an hour. Most medium - large dogs will.



3) Unless you want a small dog, which can be somewhat hard to house break and usually want company, judging by the amount of time you want to spend exercising it , I TRUELY think you should consider getting an older dog. My puppy distroys my house if he doesn't get enough exercise! I adopted both my dogs from the shelter where I work, one was a 7 week old husky puppy, the other is an 8 year old german shepard. I took my german shepard home to FOSTER her, not to keep her, because she came to the shelter in such bad condition! But she feel in love with me! She followed me around all day, never left my side, protects me from strangers when we go out for walks, or when someone knocks on the door. Shes the sweetest thing, but she SOUNDS pretty scarey! LOL! She sleeps at the bottom of my stairs or right next to my bed! No one can get to me without going through Cheyenne first! I love her to death. Older dogs are so hard to place because they're older. Puppies are HARD work! Go to your local shelter and tell them that EXACTLY what your life style is. NOT what kind of dog you want. They will be able to tell you if they have a dog for you. NEVER GET A DOG BASED ON LOOKS! Thats how I get my husky puppy. He was dropped off at 7WEEKS! Hes not even supposed to be away from his Momma yet! But the people bought him at a pet store and they had 2 babies of their own and Jack chewed up all the baby toys and they couldn't take it. If they had done any research on huskys they would have read that they are VERY hard dogs. They're very smart...and that makes them a pain sometimes!



Based on your life style I would gather the following;



You're not a real outdoorsy person



You want a dog that will be content with a couple of nice walks a day, not something thats going to want 2 hours of HARD CORE playing!



Border collies, austrailian shepards, any shepard really are constantly brought to the shelter because people get them without realizing HOW much energy they really have!



I assume you live alone.



One of the most wonderful dogs I ever own was a dalmation. They are not FAMILY dogs. They attatch them selves to ONE person. They're friendly, and fun, and the MOST loyal dogs you will ever find! There has been a huge number of them brought to humane societies around the country because of that stupid movie, 101 Dalmations. Dalmations don't have the tolerance for children that labs, and golden retreivers do, so people wold buy them...again with out doing any research...and find out later on that they weren't the Wonder Family Dog that they thought they were.



Breed rescues are another place to look for dogs. I would NEVER buy a dog from a pet store. I'm sure "Puppy Mill" is enough explanation for you. I just can't bring myself to spend $500 on a "pure breed" puppy, when there are so many un wanted dogs out there.



If you ever want some more info PLEASE EMAIL ME!! This is something I LOVE TO DO and I've worked with SOOOOO many dogs I might be able to help you out!



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

I recommend a German Shepard.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

how about a beagle or Labrador, i had a dog that was a mix of those two breeds and she fits that description well.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

a lab mix. The best place for you to go would be your local Humane Society. Talk with the people there, most are trained to address all your concerns and help you pick the best dog for you.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

German Shepherd or Boxer...



But really you should excerise a dog several times a day, it keeps them healthy, you healthy and you'll find them to have less chewy,potty, just overall issues.



German Shepherds are extremely smart dogs and are very loyal. Try looking at your local rescues or shelters to see if you find anything you like there. Sometimes it takes time to find the right dog for you, just be patient and keep looking.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

A chihuahua will be good



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

A serious consideration. One point, a big dog would not be good because of the exercise considerations (unless, in your community, you are allowed to let dogs run around, if not, then big dog is out of the question). As for security, a small dog will still bark at any intruder outside--and may scare them aware. But then again, it depends what kinds of security you want. A dog that will stop the buglers right in their track? if they are not scared what may sound like a big bark?



A pet is a pet. If this is what you want, then the security question cannot be an issue. A small dog is what you need.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

I strongly recomend a shorty border collie. They have short hair that does not shed and they have a beautiful body. They are smart and quite joyful. They need a lot of love and validation and they are just awsome.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

Any mid-sized dog will do. A terrier will alert you if someone is trying to get into the home. As far as attacking, that means a more aggressive dog.



Since you don't want a large dog, I would not suggest at sheppard or doberman or any of the more guard dog types as they can be too aggressive for home life.



Dogs like Labs are good family dogs and they are large enough to alert when someone is around the home. However all large does need a lot of exercise. The only dogs that need only 30 minutes and only a couple times a week MINIMUM would be a little terrier, Shihzuh or Bichon Friese. They are all fiesty and will bark to alert. Even the diminutive yorkshire terrier can be fierce.



Mine isn't a bad barker but will go for it whenever anyone is at the door. That would give you time to dial 911 if it is someone trying to break in. As little as my dog is, he is fierce and will not back down from larger dogs or people unless told to. He is not a guard dog, he's a little famly pet who seeks to protect those that care for him.



If you need more info, check the website of the American Kennel Club



http://www.akc.org/



or The Canadian Kennel Club



http://www.ckc.ca/en/



They have all kinds of info about different breeds, their needs, temperment, health issues, you name it. Good luck



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

My wife and I are always going back and forth as to what kind of dog to get. The things I want in a dog are very specific, but my wife just wants cute, and small/midsize. I want a dog with very short fur, or actual hair. Some dogs out there have hair just like humans do. They don't shed like a dog. Of course they'll lose some hair, just like us, but it's nothing like shedding. A short haired dog will always have short fur, because as the fur reaches a certain length, it will fall out. On the other hand, a dog with human like hair has the go to the groomer to has their hair cut, or it will just keep getting longer. After long deliberation, we've narrowed it down to a Boxer (very short fur, muscular, great disposition, great protection, high energy, midsize/large, drools), Beagle(mid-length fur, small/midsize, cute while they are puppies only, obnoxious barker) Whippet (very short fur, midsize, very thin/fragile, miniature greyhound, good disposition) and a Standard Schznauser (hair not fur, non-shedding, midsize, mid to high maintenence, sometimes not good with kids, very smart) Well that our pool of dogs picks to fit our needs. What ever you do remember, a dog is a responsibility you take on for the entire life of the dog. You picked him, he didn't pick you



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

try a staffie.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

Sheltie / Shetland Sheepdog. They are truly the sweetest dogs on earth. Most dog magazines, books, and organizations put them in the top 3 dogs out there. My sheltie has made about 10 families in my town go out and get one for themselves after meeting her once. They are great guard dogs and are very protective of their owners, but don't put up much of a fight against.. well anything. Still, they are very gentle dogs but seem to know whose a bad guy and who isn't.



Shelties need some amount of exercise but they can be left outside for a few hours a day with walks every once in a while.



I can't say enough good things about these dogs so I recommend you check out the wikipedia page on them.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

go to the AKC website, select help to pick out dogs and answer some of their questions, it will help you narrow down the breeds



even though you may still go to the shelter or humane society



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselecto...



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

How about a miniature pinchser because they can guard your house well,friendly,and make great lap dogs.



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

A Doberman



Wanting a dog, but unsure what to get...?

I have owned so many different breeds and although I loved each dog I never fell in love with a breed until I met and then got my first Labrador Retriever. They are the most loyal, loving, affectionate, INTELLIGENT, dedicated, and versatile breed. I could never say enough good things about them, and I would never be without one. Their favorite thing is to be with you, and there is nothing they do not do or you can't teach them. Mine goes swimming, hiking, camping and everything else in the summer. In the winter he goes sledding and has snow ball fights with the kids. He knows over 75 words and commands and he is a year old. They are the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans