Sunday, November 22, 2009

My dog needs your help.Please?

My dog is itching and getting sores from doing so and rubbing her hair off. I don't think it is mainge because we found fleas and are treating her for that. However she does have an odor about her. Could she just be alleric to fleas. Help her please.



My dog needs your help.Please?

I cannot answer your question par say but rather than giving you answers like the other, I will give you a site to help you research this question. Please try www.peteducation.com this site is filled with searchable information that is reliable and accurate.This way when you go to the vet you will have an idea of what it might be. Dogs can be allergic to flea bite, they can also have mange and you not know it. Bacterial skin diseases are more prevalent in certain dogs, and with bacteria often comes odor. Yeast infections of the skin can also cause odor. Keeping your pet's skin free of bacteria and yeast can help prevent many skin conditions that lead to itching, hot spots, hair loss, and other disorders. Body odor can usually be traced to one of three causes: oily skin, bacteria or yeast present on the skin, or the dog rolled in something that has a foul odor.



My dog needs your help.Please?

I am glad that I was of some help to you. (O: Report It



My dog needs your help.Please?

i'm sorry to say i'm not someone who knows a lot about animals...



but a word of advice:



TAKE HER/HIM TO THE VET.



They will take care of him/her there.



My dog needs your help.Please?

I have a turtle and four cats but no dogs. It most probably has encountered another dog and gotten something from it...



My dog needs your help.Please?

maybe. call your dog's vet and ask for an appointment



My dog needs your help.Please?

it maybe allergies, she may need the steroid shot, talk to a vet. the shot works, she'll feel better but drink %26amp; pee a lot.



My dog needs your help.Please?

GET HER TO THE VET



My dog needs your help.Please?

She could be or she could have an infected sore from scratching herself open from the fleas. I'd get her to vet ASAP, if it is an infection it could make her sick very quickly.



My dog needs your help.Please?

there's not much we can do here except to tell you to treat her with Frontline...spray your yard....and use Fleabusters in your home. wash all dogs bedding, and vacuum. maybe check with your vet for a soothing cream for her skin. poor baby



My dog needs your help.Please?

I think the best thing to do in this situation is take your dog to the vet and explain her symptoms, what is happening.



My dog needs your help.Please?

My dog gets that all the time. Some dogs are more allergic to fleas then others. Take him to the vet to be sure and get the good medication. They will put him on flea treatment and probably give him prednisone which is a steroid to clear him up. Hope this helps. go to the vet soon If it is something serious waiting is the worst you can do



My dog needs your help.Please?

Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose your dog for you. We cannot see your dog, cannot run tests, and prescribe medicine for her. If you are concerned enough to post on here about it, then you should make a visit to the vet. S/he can tell you if it's just fleas or if there is a more serious condition. If she's rubbing her hair off and getting open wounds, she may need an antibiotic and some sort of a skin soother.



This may also be a severe food or product allergy. Discuss this with your vet as well and if you aren't already, switch her to a ultra premium food. Ultra premium is along the lines of Evo, Canidae, Wysong, Wellness, Solid Gold, and Natural Balance (NOT NUTRO, NATURE'S RECIPE, NATURE'S BEST, ETC). These are typically available at dog supply stores that don't sell animals, but do sell higher end clothes and foods.



Good luck to you. : )



My dog needs your help.Please?

look here



My dog needs your help.Please?

i heard that you can give a dog benadryl for this ,,,maybe call your vet and ask if it''s ok first,even if he isnt in ,maybe he can at least return the call ,good luck!!!



My dog needs your help.Please?

Your dog need the help of a veterinarian, and she needs you to make an appointment to take her. None of us are vets on this site -- she could have allergies other than just fleas (and why aren't you using topical Frontline or Revolution???? get it from your vet) -- common in dogs. No one ever said taking good care on a dog was cheap. Remember this poor animal is absolutely dependend upon you for its very survival. If you love this animal, make an appointment today, and get her in to see a vet, hon.



My dog needs your help.Please?

First thing Monday morning, call the vet, she needs medicine. She has a high flea allergy dermatits and needs to stay on flea preventative year round. One single flea bite can be misery for her. In the meantime, she probably has a secondary skin infection requiring antibiotics, possibly oral and topical. That may be the smell. The smell could also be the anal glands, ear infection or even bad teeth. Prednisone or cortisone may be needed to help relieve the itchiness.



Do not give her a bath with any shampoo unless instructed to do so by a vet for this condition. Chances are, it will increase the pain, redness, itchiness, swelling, etc - in other words, it will do more harm then good.



Remember that good environmental treatment for fleas involves treating the house, yard, and sleeping area of the dog with a product that kills the adults (adulticide) and with an insect growth regulator as well. Other pets in the home should also be treated, as they could continue to bring fleas into the environment. While injudicious use of pesticides and growth regulators is never recommended, an effective flea prevention program is much safer and easier than dealing with a full blown flea infestation.



Diphenhydramine (regular benadryl capsule- never the liquid, it is too potent) is an antihistamine. It is used for the treatment of allergies and atopy, primarily to stop itching. (Atopy is an allergy to something that is inhaled, such as pollen or house dust; also called 'inhalant allergy.') It may also be used to control vomiting and motion sickness, as a mild sedative, and to treat muscle tremors due to certain toxins or medications. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences sleepiness, agitation, a rapid heart beat, depressed respiration, an inability to urinate, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite while being treated with diphenhydramine.



DOSE: up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours



My dog needs your help.Please?

It's very possible that she's allergic to the flea saliva from the bites. She could also have demodectic mange, a food allergy, or a combination of problems. The vet will probably do some skin scrapings and possibly some blood work to be able to make an accurate diagnosis. Once she's on the correct meds, the itching should stop driving the poor thing crazy.



The trouble with treating her with OTC meds to relieve the itch is that they may make the underlying condition even worse. About the only thing I can suggest is to distract her as much as possible -- petting her, tummy rubs, walks, etc. You want to keep her mind off the itching, but keep her calm at the same time. Whenever you see her frantically chewing on herself, try to interrupt the cycle.



Good luck to both of you. . .I hope she feels better very soon!



My dog needs your help.Please?

We once gave our dog liquid children's benadryl ~ you can get a eye dropper at the pharmacy desk for free in most stores that have a pharmacy ~ I got one at Walgreen's for free and the pharmacist was even able to tell me how much to give my dog based on it's weight... Here's what I found :



Antihistamines: Benadryl, Sominex, and Waldryl are best. Used for relief of allergies, insect bites, and itching. DO NOT USE FOR SNAKE BITES. 2mg per pound of dog every 8-12 hours.



My dog needs your help.Please?

If you think that it is fleas... then here's a good home remedy... you wanna take a mixture (I used about 25/75) of Vinegar and water... put it in a spray bottle and spray the dog with it... the dog will stink (smell of vinegar) for a short time... but the odor goes away rather quickly... do this at least once a week... to keep them away.. ;) for the effected area of flea bites... local treatment of antibiotics to the infected area is the best course of measure...



If you think it's the mainge(sp?) then you can use human body lice treatments (found at local drug stores or Wal-mart)... though if you have the money the best bet is to go to the vet to get medicines for and tests for them as well...the mainge on a dog is the same as scabies on a human... the same type of critter causing the problem... A simple yet effective test for the mange is to scratch the dog behind the ear... most dogs who don't have these mites will not automatically start kicking their back legs in a scratching motion... those with them will... If you are itching as well... you need to go to a Dermatologist about it and tell them that you suspect mange or Scabies on your dog... you will not be able to see the mites because they burrow deep under the skin...



Also, Often times dogs can get (depending on the type of dog) "hot spots"... This is common in many breeds such as Siberian Huskeys/Alaskan Malamutes... This is where areas of skin will become dry and irritated... Usually an environmental allergic reaction... often times to lake/pond water... or even as simple as a form of grass... a small scratch on the skin of the dog will cause the infectious agents to enter and reproduce... like a bacterial soup... often times these spots will go bare of fur (excessive scratching)... if you think this may be the problem... the best thing to do is bring the dog indoors (if it's not already) keep your temp. in the house between 65-70 degrees and bring the animal to the vet for medicines... or try getting DermCaps from your local pet store...



My dog needs your help.Please?

My dog has the same allergies to flea bites, I give her OTC allergy meds and once a week she gets an allergy shot. After months and months of her itching and not sure what was going on, our vet suggested going to an allergist and getting her on allergy shots...that has helped tons. I would check with your vet on different types of OTC meds your dog can take along with the right dose.



Until Monday - see if you could call an after hours vet and check on what type of OTC meds you can give your dog based on their breed and weight. I tried many different things with my dog, and it took weeks to find the right OTC med that she responded to and the vet gave me ideas along with doses to try out.



There isn't to much you can do until Monday that will give the dog immediate relief- as the vet will have all the meds that will give the dog an immediate relief.



Maybe go to a pet store, feed store or Wal-Mart and get a spray that helps dogs with hot spots (the really itchy spots).



My dog needs your help.Please?

First of all, I feel for you ... a weekend can feel like a month when your pet baby is ill ... been there!



This site offers a lot of info regarding different skin problems that might point you in the right direction:



http://www.itchy-dog.com/site/654120/pag...



Also, what came immediately to mind was that perhaps a soothing bath would help. A manager at your local PetSmart or even, if you are in a rural area, a "feed store" might be able to provide you with a soothing bath product. ( I've gotten some of my best advice from feed stores because of the wide range of animals they provide products for.)



If you don't have a pet or feed store nearby, here's what ** I ** would do: Go to the grocery store and stock up on Chamomile teabags. My mom, age 84, grew up in Europe ... in her childhood, chamomile was used not only as a soothing tea to drink, but also as a "cleanser" for skin irritations, sores, cuts, etc. - and, btw, also as an eyewash for irritated eyes. My mom used this same cleansing approach with us kids when a doctor's visit either wasn't really necessary or if the doctor's appointment was a day or two away.



Here's how I would go about the process: Make up a large vat of Camo tea, but do not discard the tea bags. Use the cooled down tea bags and apply them to the sores. Using a soft, clean cloth, use the cooled down tea to give your baby what I believe is termed a "sponge bath". I would do this in a room she feels comfortable in, placing her on a large, soft towel. Do not wash the Camo tea off; just gently pat her dry.



Really, it's a "chicken soup" remedy ... it'll either help or it won't, but it certainly won't hurt.



I wish I had more to offer you; like I said, I've paced the floor myself and know how helpless you can feel when your pet baby is ill.



I'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way ... Best of Luck to you and pooch!



My dog needs your help.Please?

Hon I can tell you care very much for your dog...



I was remembering a friend had a Pekingese and it was allergic to grass. That dog would back up under their coffee table and rub its little back raw till it would be bleeding! It was hard to get her under control too. Even the best pet owners can have problems crop up from time to time...I agree that since you found fleas that your baby is probably highly allergic to them. I also say there have been some really good ideas and suggestions put out there for you and in that area I doubt that I could add more. Good luck with your sweetie and rest assured you are a good dog mom!



My dog needs your help.Please?

Everything you are describing in your question sounds to me like a skin infection. The first thing that came to mind is yeast. It has a very distinguishing odor to it.



Benedryl liquid could help with the discomfort of the itching, but at least call your vet and get the dosage for that, and make sure you're on the right track.



My dog needs your help.Please?

Wish I had the answer for you but don't. I sympathize with you. Did you try seaching for your answer but submitting it on the Google search? You will probably find it there. Just type in your questions and push enter. Hope this helps.



My dog needs your help.Please?

Sounds like a flea allergy. You could bathe her in a very mild shampoo, but she needs to go to the vet



My dog needs your help.Please?

Call your operator and see if there is an emergency vet in your area. If there is you need to go and get your dog some relief. You wouldn't wait to take a baby until Monday, you shouldn't wait with your dog.



My dog needs your help.Please?

one of my dogs had the same problem,



we took him to the vet, and they gave us pills to give our dog that helped.



now, the other dog has it too, and his he is rubbing his hair off the spot also,



we are still trying to figure out what it is and if we should take him to the vet.



:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans