Sunday, November 22, 2009

Did I get the dog i bought? Yorkie / silky owners please help?

I have a 10 month old yorkie/silky pup. (i've had her for 7 months) Supposedly her mom was a silky and dad a yorkie. But he hair is kind of curly . Not like ringlets, but pretty close. Idk if there is a mix of some other breed in there, or is this common with yorkies and silkies? It doesnt matter to me what kind of dog she is - i still love her all the same. I am just curious. Also when she was about 6 months old she turned REALLY REALLY REALLY light. Her once dark brown/black fur turned GRAY and her rich tan fur turned sort of golden and light. Is this also common for the breed? Also, how can you tell if your dog is inbred and what are the effects?



Did I get the dog i bought? Yorkie / silky owners please help?

did you get to see her parents? I have a 7 month old yorkie. I hope you know that all yorkies are black and tan with they are born. My dog's father was all gray. At about 5 months old, my dog started to get lighter and lighter. Now his whole head is gray and his body is starting to turn mostly gray. Most yorkie dogs dont have the same colorings as they did when they are puppies.



Inbreeding can be a problem with yorkies. They can have problems with their teeth, eyes, and joints. Just make sure you take your little one to the vet on the scheduled times to be checked out. The vet will be able to tell you if there is a problem. I'm not terribly sure how to see if your dog is inbred.



Did I get the dog i bought? Yorkie / silky owners please help?

sounds like yorkie to me, usually are little curly



Did I get the dog i bought? Yorkie / silky owners please help?

Yes, that is common, the coloration change and the curly hair. Yorkies do sometimes have curly hair, and I have seen both breeds that have had their fur change to a lighter or even darker color.



Did I get the dog i bought? Yorkie / silky owners please help?

The color change is common in both breeds, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the curly hair, that is not really common in either breed, but it can happen.



It is almost impossible to tell if a particular dog was inbred. I have personally owned a dog that WAS inbred and the person I got the dog from notified me of that fact before I took him home. His daddy was his brother. He was a perfectly healthy dog but did have psychological issues.



Inbreeding can have bad effects on a dog, though, and they can be both physical and psychological. I have heard that some defects can become more pronounced in inbred dogs.



Did I get the dog i bought? Yorkie / silky owners please help?

All yorkie puppies (that I have had/seen) have wavy/curly hair. It is normal even as they become adults. Puppies go through a stage where they turn a grey/silver color. My dog is almost a year old and he is getting darker again. How you could tell if your dog is inbred is to look at the papers. They should go back a couple generations. Inbred animals are more prone of infection and cancer and are likely to be more high strung and nervous. But anyone who has ever owned a Yorkie knows that the dog being high strung is just part of it.



Did I get the dog i bought? Yorkie / silky owners please help?

Do you have a picture? My yorkie is 6 months and he is purebred...his hair isn't like regular yorkies though. It's not silky looking, it's cottony looking and curly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans