Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

i have always wanted to be a dog owner, but was never able to be one. after much research- i have finally come down to a shihtzu as a breed-minimal shed, small, good with kids, don't need lots of outdoor run time, etc... found a just shy of 2 yearold male already housetrained-reputable breeder. but i have ?s



1. is it ok to clip hair short?- i don't want to show don't have time for the long hair- ok to go 1/2", 1" and every 2-3 month pro groomer?



2.we have typical 2 working adults and kid schedules- someone is usually home after approx 5-6 hours- is that too long to be away with an adult dog?



3. we don't travel much, but on the periodic day trip or night that we go out as a family for abunch of hours and can't take dog- is it ok to have someone comeover to walk and play for a bit?



4.dog is not crate trained, should i do this or is it ok for me to leave in a 2 room area with linoleum floor?



5. when left during the day- should i leave lots of toys? music on? etc..?



thanks,



i



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

First, it sounds like you would be a great dog owner! Leaving an adult dog alone for 5 - 6 hours is perfectly ok. Since this dog is housetrained, I don't see the reason to crate train him. I've never had a dog older than about 9 months in a crate - they're only in there until they're reliably house trained and past the chewing stage. Confining him in a 2-room area with his bed, some toys and maybe a couple of treats would be perfect for him. Unless he becomes destructive, then he'll need a crate.



As for his coat, my pet peeve is people who get beautiful long haired dogs and turn them ugly because they don't want to groom them, but if you don't have the half hour a week it would take, then by all means cut his hair shorter (but they really don't need a groomer). Why not have whoever you're buying him from show you how to groom him - most dogs love being groomed and it's great bonding time between dog and owner.



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

1. Yes, thats how short we keep ours, but we get it groomed monthly as his hair grows quickly



2. Probably not, but it depends on the dog's personality.



3. If he is well adjusted enough or familiar with the visitor. My dad would watch our dog before he started traveling with us.



4. I would crate train him, but you say he is house trained, so you shouldn't need to.



5. We leave his toys in a box he can get into. We also leave the tv on, but I think that is mostly for us.



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

It sounds to me like you've thought a lot of things through, which is very good! How does your family feel about the dog? If everyone likes the dog, I think your family would make good owners.



Yes, it's ok to clip the hair short. This us usually called either a puppy clip or a lamb clip. I'd have a groomer do it the first time, but you can keep up with the maintenance of it.



I'd say the dog should be fine alone for 5-6 hours. There are a lot of dogs that do fine for the full 8 hours of a work day (mine included). Although 8 full hours alone isn't ideal, it works for lots of people and their dogs don't suffer. So yes, 5-6 hours should be fine.



Yes, if you go away overnight you can either hire a petsitter to come stay with your dog or have someone come over on occasion to walk him. He's probably also small enough that you can think about taking him with you! Many hotels accept small pets (and some even accept large pets).



You can crate train the dog, or leave him in a dog-safe area. That's completely up to you, what you feel comfortable with, and how the dog handles it. If he's housebroken and mature enough, he can probably be left with the whole house after an introduction period to your house.



This last question is also up to you. I do leave lots of toys for my dog and I also leave the radio on. I think you should definitely leave toys for him - it'll keep him out of trouble because he'll play with his toys instead of your shoes or furniture. The music is up to you. Some people leave radio, some leave TV, some leave nothing.



In any case, good luck with your new dog!



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

The shih tzu doesn't do well alone at all. The grooming is time consuming on your end and expensive on the groomer's end.



The shih tzu is one of only a very few breeds that was created for the sole purpose of being a companion. They just don't do well left alone by themselves.



You will soon tire of the daily grooming needs unless you are really dedicated.



You must dry them off after they have been out in the rain or snow. They are a toy breed afterall.



That wonderful fluffy coat costs alot of time and money...........



I would go with another breed or consider a cat with this being your first pet/dog.



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

1) ok to cut hair short, groom every 4-6 weeks 2)6 hours is ok but probaly not more than that 3)yes 4)if the dog is house trained it does not need to be crated 5)you can leave toys out for your pet as long as they dont pose a choking hazard.



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

1. Yes you can keep it short. Its called a puppy clip.



2.That's fine to leave them for that long. If you want to kennel train the dog that always is a good idea.



3. That's a great idea! Or even see if someone wants to take him to their house or have the person stay at your house so he won't get lonely.



4. Kennel training is a good idea mainly because it gives him a place to call his own. If you do go out of town for long periods of time then he will have his den. Dogs are den animals.



5. A few toys would be fine, and make sure there is water, but to avoid over feeding I wouldn't leave food out.



Good luck and sounds like you are just about ready for that dog to come home!!



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

Sounds to me like you'd make a fantastic dog owner... but I'll tell you that it's been my experience that the dog actually ends up owning you. :)



Shih Tzus are very lovable, great family dogs. I have two of them and they are just like little babies. They do require quite a bit of maintenance if you keep a long coat (which I prefer), but a short coat works well, too. You should definitely locate a professional groomer in your area that can be trusted. My two girls LOVE their groomer and love to be groomed.



Leaving him alone for 5-6 hours shouldn't be an issue - neither should the crate training be. However, I'll warn you that I have never once known a housebroken Shih Tzu (mine included). They're pretty darn cute and know just how much they can get away with! :)



I see no issue with any of the questions you've asked - it sounds like you've done your research and are ready to add to the family! Good luck!



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

huh what



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

I'm sure you would be a great dog owner, but you might want to find another breed with short hair that doesn't need to be trimmed if you don't want to go to the breeder all the time. I am in the same position as you. I however have told my wife that I don't want to spend the money every month or so to have a dog's hair trimmed.



Our previous dog was a mini schnauzer and he had to be trimmed. He was always very "pretty" when done, but it's costly and time consuming. He stayed home all the time for extended periods when he was an adult dog. No accidents...There would be nothing wrong with having someone come over to let the dog out.



My suggestion would be to go for it, but you should get a short hair.



Would I make a good dog/shihtzu owner?

1. Talk to the Groomer



2. No.But Make Sure before some one let him out before he or she leaves



3. Sure



4. If you want to. You can but Before You get the dog make sure he is potty trianed.



5. few toys(like Raw hide bones), Music No.



--Leave the House Like you would every day without the dog--



--When you first get him, he maybe scared, Because of a new Enviorment and new People--



Have Fun ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans