Sunday, November 22, 2009

I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

He is a 1 year old with Orangish/Brown hair with Black tips. He has all his papers and shots. He is a great dog.



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

1. Contact a breed club for your breed. Ask for a mentor.



2. STUDY the breed standard. Learn about dog anatomy and ask your mentor to



clarify anything you don't understand.



3. Learn what genetic faults and diseases run in your breed and test for any



that can be tested for.



4. Show your dog in conformation events to see if it is of the proper



quality for breeding. Winning doesn't always mean a dog is breeding quality,



but being around so many others that know your breed and will talk to you



will do wonders for your self-education efforts!



5. Study the past history of great dogs in your breed. You will see how your



breed has improved and progressed since the beginning of the breed.



6. Study the breed standard some more! ;-)



7. Join any Yahoo groups about your breed.



8. Live, dream and study your breed.



9. Get a good book on canine reproduction, and educate yourself about the



pitfalls, problems, and proud moments of breeding. Learn about the



physiology of reproduction, such as heat cycles and venereal diseases in



dogs, potential for problems specific to your breed, and what you need to



expect at whelping.



10. Remember that whelping (giving birth) can kill your female. Being used



as a stud dog can encourage bad behaviors common in intact males such as



territorial marking, aggression, and desire to roam from home.



11. Prepare to be broke. Breeding properly is EXPENSIVE.



12. Line up potential homes for any puppies you produce and write up a



contract. Remember to include that you will be willing to take back your



puppies at any time in their lives that they might need you. If you bring



life into this world, it is your responsibility FOREVER.



13. Prepare to spend sleepless nights attending whelping females, caring for



fading puppies or puppies orphaned, and practice cleaning up after 24/7 poop



machines.



I'm sure there are many things I missed because being a responsible breeder



isn't just a job. It's a way of life. You will live dogs. 24/7/365. There



are lots of hard decisions. There is a lot of expense. There will be pain.



But, if you do your darndest to always keep the welfare of your dogs and the



future of any of their offspring, you can go to step 14.



14. Enjoy the love and success of a job well done.



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

If you have no idea what goes into breeding please don't do it! This is not the place to get good information.



There are already many many Experienced Breeders out there already.....we do not need any more. Please consider the dog overpopulation problem too.



Just enjoy your dog as a Pet and get him Neutered....please



Just because he is a "great" dog, doesn't mean he is Breeding Quality. Has he won Championship titles, had his health certs......



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

ok, im not one of the rude people who will yell at you, but i do need to tell you this:



please please please don't breed your dog. dogs are already too overpopulated as it is, and many dogs are euthanized at shelters everty day b/c they werent able to find homes. if you really love the dog species, please neuter your pooch and dont breed him. just enjoy him as a pet!



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

If you have no idea what you are doing, then you have no business doing it!



Neuter your dog, keep him healthy and dont add to the pet overpopulation.



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

I am sure you have a terrific dog and love him dearly, but until you show him at AKC sanctioned matches and find out whether he is a champion example of his breed worth breeding for the good of the breed, research his bloodline thoroughly, have his DNA checked for hereditary flaws, you would just be another back yard breeder turning out substandard, untested pups.



I do show one of my 5 dogs, she regulary wins in every conformation trial I put her in, but I would never breed her because she is just too small, I would fear complications. Instead, I rescue the breed - why don't you do the same? Lhasa rescue could use your help without doubt, and you would have other lhasas around without adding to the overpopulation.



Having "papers" means absolutely nothing - just that both his parents were the same breed, it is no indicator of quality at all.



Enjoy your pet - let him have a healthy, happy life - neuter him.



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

If you don't have any idea "how to do this" then you shouldn't be doing this! Get your little guy neutered, he will be healthier and happier. If you don't even know how to correctly spell Lhasha Apso, then you might not be a good candidate to be breeding them!



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

You have come to the right place.



This is the land of the breeder misfits. Not many here know what they are doing either. All of them here have a great dog that they want to carry on it's legacy.



Stay tuned and you will get more BS advice than you can handle. Then maybe, just maybe you will realize that you will be amongst the ranks of the breeder misfits and decide not to breed because these people don't have a clue.



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

The best way to advertise him is to show him. If he is any good at all, the other breeders wil ask about using him.



Make sure he has his health testing, as recommended by the American Shih Tzu Club



http://www.shihtzu.org/



Here are their breeder guidelines, including recommended health tests



http://www.shihtzu.org/Info/breeder_guid...



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

I'm going to be nice for once. Please don't breed your dog, just because you think he is a great dog doesn't mean that he is correct for the standard. He may have health problems you don't know about yet and you've never had him judged against the standard. There are thousands of lhasas euthanized in shelters every year, 4 out of 5 puppies bred by inexperienced breeders end up in the shelter to be euthanized. If your sincerely interested in breeding, contact your local breed club and get involved. Involve yourself in lhasa rescue, and go to shows, you need to learn as much as you can about the breed and find a mentor to show you the ropes and educate you about the breed. PLEASE don't continue the overpopulation problem, 17,000,000 are euthanized in shelters yearly and that number is growing. Breeding dogs the right way is very involving, time consuming and expensive. If you do the right things, you MIGHT break even. It's dangerous and many bit_ches loose their lives even when it's done right.



Please, educate yourself more before breeding your dog.



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

First of all dont do it. You have a male, their are alot of other males. Have you shown him? Does he have champions? Anyways unless you are experience with breeding dont do it.



good luck



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

If you have no idea on what your doing, then dont. I would love to perform a triple bypass surgery but alas, I don't know how. Can I practice on you?



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

Hi Susan,



Your best bet is to start attending local dog shows and talking with breeders about how they got started. Find someone in your area who can evaluate your dog. If he's not show quality, then he's not breeding quality and should be fixed.



If he is show quality, then start competeing. Find a mentor who breeds and shows and have them help you through everything. Once you've spent a couple years, have a Ch. or similar title, have all the health clearances on the dog (OFA, CERF, kidney, etc), and know what to look for in a mate for your dog, then consider breeding.



Breeding just because you have a "great dog" with "papers and shots" would make you a backyard breeder. So, if you have even an ounce of ethics, then you'll want to follow the proper steps or get him neutered.



http://www.lhasaapso.org/



AKC breeding guidelines: http://www.akc.org/breeders/resources/gu...



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

I'm sure your dog is a great dog, but unfortunately, we have way too many dogs in the world right now, not too few. Many of the currently homeless dogs are purebreds and many many more of them are great dogs. There just aren't enough homes for all of them.



If you want to get serious about breeding, you need a dog who is determined by professionals to be among the best of the best. That's what conformation shows are for; they determine which dogs are the finest examples of their breeds and are going to help to improve that breed. To be a good, responsible breeder, you need to show your dog, get him checked for genetic defects, find a female dog who is also top quality and free of genetic defects, take the pregnant female to the vet for care as needed, get the pups adequate vets care, feed, exercise, and care for the puppies for their first eights weeks at least, find homes for all of them, and be willing to take any dog back for any reason at any point in time. Sound hard? It will be. Sound expensive? It will be. Sound like a great money making scheme? It's not. Think very hard before you decide to get involved in breeding. Go down to your local shelter or look on Petfinder for dogs in your area. Think about how for every puppy you bring into the world, there will be one less home available for the dogs in the shelter. They may end up being euthanized because someone bought a puppy from you instead of going to the shelter. Is it worth it?



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

WHY! WHY DO YOU WANT TO BREED?! you don't even know what your getting yourself into!.... How about you first start by thinking about all the homeless animals in shelters that were trated with nothing but cruelty their whole life, and are now living in metal cages, and will most likely get put to sleep.. how about you think of all the other animals that still need to find good homes?.. and not adding to the problem?



Lahsa Apso's are very good dogs, my cousin has one... but instead of going through the trouble of breeding, and adding to the over population, why not just love your dog for who he is??



Go walk through your local animal shelter and you will see what I mean, it is so sad and depressing, you would most likely cry if you just had to walk down one aisle in a shelter and look into all the eyes of those dogs who are dying to find a good loving home. So please, don't add to the problem, be a responsible dog owner, and just get him fixed.... and if you really love your dog, why not adopt another Lahsa Apso, instead of producing more that may end up in shelters. I think that is the best thing you could do.



I have a Male dog I would like to Breed, Lahsa Apso, and I have no idea how to do this.?

Post signs in your local Grocery stores, and I believe you can post a stud listing on Craig's list, in the pets area. Try goggling Lahas Apso breeders that my work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans