Thursday, June 17, 2010

My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

He got his hair cut last week and had a few cysts that were not visible with all his fur. Now that the cysts( non cancerous according to the vet) are exposed he has been biting at the one he can reach. Now the vet wants to do surgery that will cost anywhere from 600-800 dollars. I love my dog very much, but is it worth the agony of surgery at his age, and the vet did no specific tests yesterday to definately rule out cancer. Would it be more humane to have him put down, as these things look like they are painful, or should I spend the money in hopes it is nothing more? Any NICE, helpful advice would be appreciated!



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

I had a similar situation with my 13 yr old cat. I spoke to several veterinarians and had bloodwork run. We could not rule out cancer without surgery. At his age, I just didn't feel it was right to put him through that. A couple of the veterinarians agreed. If it was cancer, I knew that I would not put him through the treatments. After seeing a friend's cat go through that, it broke my heart. We made the decision to just wait and see what would happen with full backing from our primary vet. If he starts getting pain or sick then we will make the decision based on his quality of life to be put to sleep. As for your dog, his hair cut could have irritated the cysts, causing him to chew at them. They may look worse that they feel. Ask you vet if they are painful and could the dog be happy and comfortable without removing them.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

my 13 yr old dog had a cyst on his neck removed -they an biopsy it - nedleing him /removing puss sample my dogs being lger than forseen %26amp; being on neck they removed it - it wasn't cancerous -alot of vets have payment plans -- just ask about it b4 your dog is booked for surgery ! Report It



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

I hope you don't put your dog to sleep just because you can't afford to give her medical attention. If you can't afford to properly care for a dog, in sickness and in health, because you have too many kids, then please do not become a dog owner ever again. Report It



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

realy it is your choice but i wouldnt stop at any lengths to help



my dog but thats just me i would do it to make the rest of his life more comfortable at his age cos he could have a few more years in him yet



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

if it was me i would have the surgery my dogs are part of my family like my kids and would do anything for my dogs to prolong there life.



you could ask that the vet takes a biopsy under sedation first then sends that off for analysis before making the decision over surgery,if it was cancerous there are things the vet can do but it would have to be your choice,



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

I would do anything for my dogs...your dog could have a lot of years left in her...we just lost one of our dogs, a lab mix, at 15 years old...and I know dogs who have lived longer. I'd say do the surgery. Ask your vet their opinion as well. They should know if she is healthy enough to withstand the surgery. Good luck.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

That sounds like it is very expensive for the surgery that is proposed. Perhaps you should get a second opinion. Depending on the overall general health of your dog would determine the decision to be made. Perhaps you could just remove the one that is giving the most trouble. I can't imagine that they have become painful now that the dog has had a hair cut.



My advice would be to get a second opinion.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

I am so sorry that you're having this question arise. The danger in the surgery is the anesthesia that might be necessary; the surgery itself is not very serious nor very painful for your beloved companion. If he's healthy otherwise; it's worth the money. The cysts are probably not painful or he would have been chewing them before the haircut. Like people, dogs 'fuss' with the obvious. My girl chews her toenails and keeps them neat! It's up to you to make the decision. Good luck!



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

As a dog owner and lover, I would do anything for my dogs. We gave up a European Vacation for knee surgery on one of my dogs who lived happily for another 5 years. If your dog is a small dog with a long life span, I would consider surgery. If it is a large breed with a 10-12 year life span, i would consider putting it down. If the dog is not in pain, may want to think about taking care of the cysts. Your choice. I've spent over $9,000 on 3 knee surgeries on 2 dogs. $600-$800 is a bargain.



Good Luck.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

get a second opinion ... and do a search on vets .... that sounds rather costly ... but our dogs are part of our families ... so get the surgery ... good luck to you n your pooch :)



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

If the dog is otherwise healthy why would you not have the surgery done? My animals mean the world to me. Their health and comfort is my only concern.



Even if it is more than just a cyst the sooner you know the sooner treatment can start. To me that would be much more humane than putting to sleep an otherwise healthy dog.



The other option is to see another vet and then go from there. I would not even be thinking of euthanasia at this point though.



Good luck.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

I'm in the same situation here. Makes it even harder not having the money for another few weeks...



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

My older dog also developed cysts and the ones that did not bother her we left alone. But the one she licked until it bled we had removed at about that age. She developed more as she aged even further and after about age 13, anesthesia was too big a risk. But they bothered us more than her and we did not see any need to put her down.



You don't say what kind of dog you have. If it were an 11-1/2 year old small dog, I'd definitely consider surgery since they can live to 15 or more. If your dog's overall health is otherwise good, I'd be inclined to do the surgery. Your vet seems to think your dog's health is good enough, that should be an indicator -it's a conversation you should have with the vet.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

if he is no immediate pain, is eating and drinking normal etc, i wouldnt have him put down.. one of my dogs (a yorkie) had lumps all over that left him red raw and we paid for this and tht from the vet before they decided to do a skin scrape, all parsites were ruled out so they did a skin biopsy BUT while he was awake coz they said if he was given full ana...wotsit there was a 99%chance he wouldnt come round so cozz of his age..hes 11 he was awake while they removed the lumps just having the ana..to numb the area(his back)and he was as good as gold and had his stitches out yesterday..we were told it was a form of dermatitis ...so if i were you id push for further investigations xx



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

My husband and I promised our Lab (Thunder) that we would do anything and everything for him if he ever got sick. His anal sacks became infected and every week for 6 weeks we went to have them drained.



We never gave up on Thunder. Then his prostrate became enlarged and engulfed his bladder and then he started to get edema inside of him with infection.



The Vet told me that even a young dog would never be able to live through the surgery.



He showed me the x-rays. The blood tests etc.



Thunder was 11 1/2 and we did everything humanly possible for him. We promised him he would never suffer, he was suffering at the end.



We put Thunder to sleep with the angels on 7-6-07. In my heart I know that no matter how much money we spent, no many how many trips we went to the vet. He was going to be taken care of.



Thunder was a very beloved and precious 'baby' and we loved him ever so much.



So go for the surgery, do everything humanly possible for your beloved dog. But please if your vet tells you that he is suffering do what you must do in your heart.



Good luck to your beloved dog and he/she will be in my prayers.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

When a large breed is this old, it becomes a very challenging question. If the dog is in generally good health and very active, I think I would consider the surgery positively. If the dog is in generally poor health, I think I'd consider putting him down more seriously.



I highly recommend joining Yahoo Orthodogs group. The moderators include several people who work in the field, and they can give you really better feedback than you'll get here at Yahoo Answers.



I suspect that a cyst removal would be a lot less invasive than the TPLO surgery that we had on our dog at age 2 1/2.



To tell if they are painful, you can touch and rub them and see how he responds. I hate putting dogs on NSAIDs for prolongued periods of time which is what vets often do for painful things.



Ask your vet how painful these are.



Ask your vet how invasive the surgery is.



Feel free to get a 2nd opinion by a different vet or at a vet school.



Good luck and try to not worry. The decision for surgery is never easy.



My dog who is 11 and a half year old needs surgery......?

I would talk with the vet see what the chances are somethin might go wrong ask about his age and if it is goin to make a difference. In the end the choice is yours I know it is a hard one to make but dont think your evil if you choose to have him put down you will prolly save him from a lot of pain and missery later, if you deside to go with the surgery i hope everything goes well for you, I know you dont want to have him put down just cause of the cost of surgery you just want to make sure you are doin the best thing for him and in the end i know you will, good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans