Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dry skin on a dog?

with the extream cold that we are experiencing my dog ( a chocolate lab/ airdale mix) is having some real dry itchy skin.....is it okay to massage a little baby oil into her hair to help relieve some of the dryness for her?



Dry skin on a dog?

Oil yes, raw egg no. Uncooked egg destroys biotin an important enzyme.



Dry skin on a dog?

she'll get the entire house greasy. you need to fix the problem from the inside. begin by using a dry dog food high in linoleac acid, such as Nutro Max...which has the highest amounts. Also begin by adding 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to her food. The problems should clear up fairly soon if you make these two changes.



Dry skin on a dog?

Sure, for long term relieve start adding omega 3 to her food once a day.



Dry skin on a dog?

During our Winters in Minnesota I put extra virgin oil in my dogs food. It works great and have did this for the past 10 years with my Labs



Dry skin on a dog?

contact the vet you use to care for your dog they can answer that question better than I can.



Dry skin on a dog?

i have also heard tomato juice works wonders for healthy skin and coat in dogs. never tried it tho. I agree with Nutro. I wish i could show you a pic of my lab cross to show how glossy his coat is from that food. Frequent bathing will make it worse. It should be no more than once a month. But I would leave it untill it is warmer out because or your situation (unless she gets really dirty or stinky) when you do bath her use either an oatmeal or tea tree oil shampoo.



Dry skin on a dog?

a raw egg every other day will help. That is, FEED it to the dog:)



Dry skin on a dog?

MY black lab has the same problem. My breeder told me to give hald and egg yolk twice a day but it bothered his stomach all night so then he suggested 1/4 tsp of olive oil. in each meal. It helps. Also for labs the canadai dog food is mainly made for labs coats to keeps them shiny try changing his diet. my dogs skin is getting alot better. Good luck,



Dry skin on a dog?

baby oil won't hurt her. but it also might not work. what works with my toy poodle is an oatmeal shampoo. there are special shampoos you can buy that are specifically for dry and itchy skin. they are available at walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans