Thursday, June 17, 2010

Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

my chocolate lab pup itches ALL THE TIME!!



i know it's not fleas...we had a minor run in with those when we got him and it's taken care of..so i don't need flea advice, thanks!



he is itching like mad all the time and i'm afraid he's going to start getting infected hot spots! he isn't oozing or anything right now, but he has already started to lose hair in patches from itching.



my husband is making a vet appt today, but does anyone know of any treatments we can give him until then, to ease the itching.



this just started about 2 weeks ago, so we can eliminate allergies, cine we've had him longer than 2 weeks and haven't introduced anything new to him, like house cleaners, or his food etc.



so, anyone know any moisturizers for dogs, etc??



i bought some oatmeal dog bath, but i worry about bathing him alot right now, b/c i don't want to dry out his skin....



any advice will be welcomed! thanks!



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

Giving the oatmeal bath is probably the best thing you could do until you know what the problem is. Even just a cool bath can help relieve some itching, but both offer short lived relief. If there are particular areas that are red or more itchy than others some hydrocoritisone cream may help temporarily also. There is a type of mite that using steroids with is not recommended, but for a day or afternoon it should not make any difference in diagnosis or treatment.



(allergies can show up anytime )



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

Please let me know how it turned out for your little guy! Report It



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

my dog has the same problem i took him to the vet and he has red mange he was dip three times and given medicine he is a lot better but there is no cure for it but it is treatable he scraches and spots of hair is gone it is not contaggus or you or another dog can not catch it. Report It



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

go to a store, probly walmart, and buy some anti-itch cream for him



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

Take it to the vet for sure.... it probably has the "mainge" %26lt;- spelling?



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

sounds like fleas.



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

talk to your vet - what you give him will depend on what the problem is. sometimes you can use benadryl spray on dogs - but again it depends on what the problem is.



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

Sounds like your pooch has allergies, they can have the same reaction to pollens and grasses just like humans. The vet may put him on prednisone for ten days to help clear it up. You can also try liquid benadryl or Chloratimentin, not sure if the spelling is right, It is a antihistimine and you can buy the walmart brand. Since it is not fleas I'm sure that you must be dealing with allergies as what ever he is allergic too just started two weeks ago, dogs can also have what is known as hot spots, the vet will run the proper test to find out what the problem is. However allergies can pop up any time depending on what they have a allergic reaction to. Let me know what you find out.



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

definately talk to your vet first, but the two things I use on my dogs are a dog shampoo with oatmeal in it and I use my own conditioner on my dogs. It's a generic brand shampoo with Tea Tree Oil in it. That stuff worked wonders on my dog and I heard that just the oil worked well for hotspots on dogs, so I tried my conditioner, and my don't now have very good skin and shiny coats...my vet raved about their skin and coats when I took them in.



But like I said, you REALLY need to talk to your vet because it could be an allergy to food or pesticides, or any number of other things.



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DOG HAS ALLERGIES. I HAVE A YORKIE AND HE DOES THIS BUT ISN'T THAT BAD. SOMETIMES I WILL GIVE HIM A LITTLE OF CHILDRENS BENEDRYL. AND THAT HELPS, THIS IS WHAT MY VET SAID I COULD USE.



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

I had a terrier that itched like that. She was allergic to pollen. What I used for Lady was Dermalone. It is a lotion and you will have to get it from you vet. I would not use anything over the counter unless your vet recommends it, because you could be doing your dog more harm that good.



You are right about the baths by the way. The best thing you can do for your doggie is to take him to the vet. Lady's vet gave her some ointment that I rubbed on the bald spots and he also gave her a lotion called Dermalone that I rubbed on the spots after the ointment was used up. As you know, I have mentioned the Dermalone earlier.



Please do not buy hand lotion or hand cream and put it on your doggie. This can make matters worse because the hand lotion/hand cream has perfume in it and perfume has alcohol in it and alcohol dries out the skin.



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

I had this same problem with my 1 year old Lab. The doctor tried allergy pills at first, but it didn't work. Than he reccomended a pill that has fish oils, Omega 3's and other essential fatty oils which help with coat and eyes.



I was on a sililar human medicine from my eye doctor when my eyes were constantly dry.



Anyway instead of having to force a bunch of pills down her throat everyday I tried Science Diets' dry skin formula (it's a dry food with the same fish oils, and Omegas already in it). Well after about one week we saw such a major difference. Her coat is soft, shiny and she never ever itches anymore.



Before we tried this she actually had bald spots from itching so much. It was sad. But now she's great and I think she even likes the dry food more since the oils add flavor for her!



We were already giving her Science diet regular dry food, so nothing really had to change as far as price, effort, or quality of food.



I really hope this helps. You may even want to try this before the vet since the vet is very expensive with or without insuranace!



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

Jewelweed salve. It is all natural %26amp; safe for animals as well as on people.



Take him to the vet if it does not work.



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

te trea oil conditioner is very good the sell it at petsmart



Any advice for a dog's itchy skin??

Allergies seem to be a very common problem in all the breeds now.



Vaccinations can cause allergies in dogs. Itchy skin is one of the side effects. Read the Wisconsin University web link..



http://svmweb.vetmed.wisc.edu/articles/6...



http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/8413.h...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans